Self-management empowers individuals to take responsibility for their health. This is accomplished by making informed decisions and actively participating in treatment options and lifestyle choices. While traditional health education programs aim at providing consumers with disease specific formation, self-management provides health information and focuses on consumer engagement through problem solving and shared decision- making. Medical interventions play a significant role in a person’s health by guiding their care and treatments. However, an individual’s health outcomes are influenced by their attitudes, values, behaviors, and lifestyle choices in enhancing health, preventing disease, or managing a chronic illness.
Health Promotion Associates serves as a vehicle to facilitate self-management. Our goal is to help each individual better value their health and form new patterns in personal responsibility, control, and health management. HPA has designed a series of products and services effectively directing actions and behaviors, fundamentally raising self- awareness, and achieving a healthy lifestyle.
Our whole-person approach to self-management integrates the following essential components:
- Traditional medicine
- Complementary medicine
- Lifestyle management
- Interpersonal skills
- Time management
- Organizational skills
HPA’s self-management interventions create a new culture of engagement.
The CONNECT™ system promotes specific strategies that engage the individual in problem solving, and decision-making by:
- Building a framework to raise people’s awareness of their current state of health and the desired future health status
- Demonstrating how to empower individuals to be proactive in self-management and in decisions regarding their treatment options
- Providing tools to measure and monitor their health resulting in lifestyle changes that impact the quality of their health and their life
- Building confidence in individual personal abilities to become a more collaborative part of their own healthcare team
- Managing time, and information efficiently, so that medical encounters and office visits are more efficient, productive, and effective
- Developing personal health practices and coping skills
- Engaging community resources and support
HPA provides resources and professional expertise that focus on building the skills that embodies the principles and practices of engaging individuals in self-management interventions.